Breakfast ideas: Apple Berry Breakfast Crumble
Breakfast can get pretty plain. Throw out your buttered toast this weekend and swap it for a delectable, wholesome breakfast that’s sweet and super tasty.
The recipe calls for Kanzi® apples, which are an an unusual blend of juicy Gala and tangy, sweet Braeburn giving a well-balanced sweet flavour. This is the perfect autumnal go-to and it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and refined sugar-free.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 4 Kanzi® apples, cored and sliced
- 200g strawberries, sliced
- 200g blackberries
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- Coconut yoghurt, to serve
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour or cornflour
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan forced.
- In a bowl, combine Kanzi® apples, strawberries, blackberries, orange zest and juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and star anise. Once mixed well, transfer to a deep baking dish.
- To make the crumble topping, combine the coconut, almond meal, chia seeds, arrowroot flour and salt. Pour the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract over. Mix well until the crumble sticks together.
- Sprinkle over the top of the fruit mix. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the Kanzi® apples are cooked through and crumble is golden brown. To avoid the crumble browning too quickly, cover with foil halfway through cooking.
- To serve, place a generous spoonful of warm Kanzi® crumble into a bowl. Top with coconut yoghurt. Enjoy!