Dietitian-approved dips on Australian supermarket shelves for a lighter snack plate
There’s nothing like a good dip for snacking on, whether it be by yourself or with pals. Here are our top ten healthiest dips on Australian supermarket shelves, according to dietitian Melissa Meier.
Nothing beats digging in to an Instagramable grazing platter paired with a cheeky glass of vino. And now that party season has hit, we’re more likely to be faced with these drool-worthy feasts, thanks to weekends filled with Christmas parties, summer picnics and those once-a-year catch-ups with family friends.
If good health (and your waistline) is on your mind, it’ll pay to make a lighter grazing choice, especially in the dip department. When it comes to a healthy dip, you’re looking for three main things: An ingredients list full of veggies and/or yoghurt. Veggies themselves are low ultra-low in kilojoules, so dips made mostly of them are going to be a wise choice. Think: hummus, sweet potato or beetroot. Yoghurt-based dips instead of cream-cheese or mayo-based ones are another good option to keep the kilojoule content in check.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
Secondly, low in saturated fat, to keep your ticker in tip-top shape. If you’ve got a healthy, veg-based dip on your hands, chances are it’ll be low in saturated fat – but it’ll still pay to check the nutrition information panel. You’re looking for less than five grams of sat fat per 100 grams. And third, low in sodium, also with heart health in mind.
I was pleasantly surprised by my recent analysis of the dip fridge at my local supermarket to find so many brands that meet my low sodium criteria – that’s less than 400 milligrams of sodium per 100 grams. It goes without saying that what you pair with your dip is a big contributor to the overall healthfulness of your bite. Instead of opting for high-GI, refined white crackers, I’d suggest a wholegrain option – or better yet, fresh and crunchy veggie sticks.
Ten healthiest dips on Australian supermarket shelves
So, without further ado, here are my top ten healthiest dips on Australian supermarkets. All I can say is, it’s good news if you’re a fan of hummus!
1. Black Swan Skinny Tzatziki: 374kJ, 1.5g sat fat and 209mg sodium per 100g
2. SSS Foods Hummus Natural: 569kJ, 0.7g sat fat and 340mg sodium per 100g
3. Coles Beetroot Hummus: 645kJ, 1.1g sat fat and 231mg sodium per 100g
4. Black Swan Skinny Hummus: 873kJ, 1.3g sat fat and 307mg sodium per 100g
5. Chris’ Hommus: 924kJ, 1.6g sat fat and 330mg sodium per 100g
6. Mediterranean Delite Hummus Dip With Roasted Capsicum & Jalapeno: 937kJ, 1.6g sat fat and 159mg sodium per 100g
7. Coles Sweet Potato & Cashew Dip: 1000kJ, 1.6g sat fat and 379mg sodium per 100g
8. Coles Hummus: 1020kJ, 1.8g sat fat and 399mg sodium per 100g
9. Mediterranean Delite Hummus Dip: 1020kJ, 1.7g sat fat and 153mg sodium per 100g
10. Obela Moroccan Sweet Potato & Roasted Pistachios: 1050kJ, 1.7g sat fat and 347mg sodium per 100g
Melissa Meier is a Sydney-based accredited practicing dietitian. You can connect with her on Instagram @honest_nutrition.