Low-calorie chicken nachos ready in 25 minutes
A healthy take on the ultimate party snack you don’t have to feel guilty about.
Nachos are the ultimate, traditional party dish to share (or eat entirely yourself, no judgement), but traditional recipes can be high in fat and calories.
With some pretty minor adjustments and substitutions, however, like lean chicken breasts and baked tortillas instead of fried corn chips, this lower calorie version is packed with flavour, making for a snack or share plate you can enjoy with zero guilt.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter to read more stories like this.
10 min prep time
15 min cook time
- 3 light tortillas (cut into 5cm triangles)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 30g reduced salt taco seasoning
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can drained kidney beans
- 160g cooked skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp fresh jalapenos
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Lightly spray tortilla pieces with oil. Place, in a single layer, on a large oven tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool on the tray.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the spice mix for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the tomato and beans and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Divide ¾ of the bean mixture between four small ovenproof dishes. Top with the chicken and the remaining bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Place under the grill for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Top with coriander and chillies. Serve with the tortilla chips and sour cream.