Simon Hill’s nutritious yet remarkably delicious pistachi-oat ice cream
I bet you didn’t know it would be this easy to make ice cream out of oat milk.
This recipe is simple and nutritious yet remarkably delicious.I love pistachios, but feel free to add any nut or fruit you prefer.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
Pistachi-Oat Ice Cream
- 3 cups unsweetened oat milk*
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups roasted, unsalted pisachios, shelled, + extra, chopped to serve
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- Blueberries, to serve
*soy milk can be substituted to increase protein content
- In a small saucepan, simmer the oats in 1 cup of milk until soft, roughly 10 minutes.
- Set the mix aside in a bowl to cool.
- In a blender combine the pistachios and remaining milk. Blend on high until silky smooth.
- Add the cooked oatmeal, along with the maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt.
- Blend again until smooth and oats are fully broken down.
- Pour it into a shallow, freezer-safe container, and freeze until it starts to harden around the edges, about 45 minutes. Stir vigorously, then return it to the freezer.
- Repeat this process every 45 minutes until the ice cream is the desired consistency. It will take 5-6 hours to hit soft-serve status
- Enjoy, sprinkled with additional pistachios and fresh blueberries.